Diamond Harbour Highlights
Legend has it that Diamond Harbour was so named because one of the early settlers observed the sun reflecting on the water and thought it looked like a thousand shining diamonds. Whatever the reason, Diamond Harbour remains one of the sunniest and unspoilt destinations on Banks Peninsula and is great for a day trip. How about an energetic walk to Mt Herbert or a more relaxing stroll around the cliff tops and beaches?
There is great swimming at both Purau Bay and Diamond Harbour and you can rent sea kayaks and mountain bikes in Diamond Harbour. For more details on what to see and do in Diamond Harbour see www.diamondharbour.info
A ferry has been operating on Lyttelton Harbour since 1888, connecting Diamond Harbour with Lyttelton. It's just a short 5 minute walk from the ferry jetty to the small township and ferries depart at least every hour throughout the day.
Black Cat’s ferry the Black Diamond was launched in May 2001 and was purpose built to operate as the new Diamond Harbour Ferry, replacing the historic Onawe. The introduction of the new vessel has meant the journey time is reduced to around 8 minutes with greater frequency throughout the day.
Suggested things to do in Diamond Harbour
1. Cycling. Cycle to Teddington, then up Gebbes Pass and link with the Summit Road to enjoy wonderful views. Return via Dyers Pass Road and Governors Bay
2. Diamond Harbour Cliff Track. A lovely coastal walk, quite challenging in places, which starts at Purau and continues around the cliff to Church Bay. There are several approaches/exits to Marine Drive along the walk. Maps available from the Diamond Harbour Country Store or Lyttelton Harbour Information Centre.
3. Diamond Harbour Historical walk. An easy 1 1/2 hour walk. Maps (50c) available from Church Bay Store and Diamond Harbour Country Store.
4. Charteris Bay Golf Club
5. Lyttelton Farmers market, followed by lunch in Diamond Harbour. Every Saturday from 10am - 1pm the Lyttelton Farmers market is a very popular attraction. Catch the ferry to Diamond Harbour after you've made your purchases and sampled the delicious goodies and have lunch at the Country Store for fabulous food and coffee.
6. Pack a picnic and head to the beach. Purau Bay (best at half to full tide)
Diamond Harbour (stoney beach but safe swimming).
Paradise Beach - Charteris Bay
How to Get to Lyttelton
Lyttelton is around 15 to 20 minutes drive from the centre of Christchurch. See http://maps.google.com/ for detailed information about how to drive yourself. Print this map out to help you navigate.
We are located in B Jetty, Lyttelton Harbour. At the end of the tunnel turn left onto Norwich Quay. The second turning to the right is the Oxford street overbridge, you need to park on Norwich Quay and walk over the bridge and follow the footsteps on the pavement to Black Cat ferries. About a 5 minute walk from Norwich Quay.
Schedule and Prices
(updated 2nd November 2009)
Departs Diamond Harbour
6:10, 6:55, 7:20, 7:40, 8:05, 8:50, 9:50, 10:50, 11:50
12:50, 1:50, 2:50, 3:20*, 4:00, 4:20, 4:50, 5:20, 5:50, 6:10, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30(F)
6:30, 7:10, 7:30, 7:50, 8:15, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00
1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:10, 4:30, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 6:20, 6:40, 7:40, 8:40, 9:40, 10:40(F)
6:50(S), 7:50, 8:50, 9:50, 10:50, 11:20, 11:50
12:20. 12:50, 1:20, 1:50, 2:20, 2:50, 3:50, 4:50, 5:50, 6:50, 7:50, 8:50(S), 9:50(S), 10:50(S)
7:05(S), 8:05, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, 11:30, 12:00
12:30, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, 6:00, 7:00, 8:00, 9:00(S), 10:00(S), 11:00(S)
* One-Way only:
(F) Friday only;
(S) Saturday only:
Public Holidays will run to either a Saturday or Sunday Schedule - Check out the metroinfo website or phone 328 9078 close to the date to confirm.
Duration: 10 minutes one way.
Lytt/Dia. Harbour or reverse - one way
Lytt/Dia. Harbour or reverse - return
Prices are in NZ dollars and include GST. A discount applies for Metrocard holders
Child Rates: These apply to children between the ages of 5 and 16 years and secondary school children on weekdays if in school uniform or on production of an ID card.
Metro Card Holders get a 25% discount; Adults one way $4.20, Child $2.10
Freight: Per item - $1.50
Bicycles: $2 each way
Prams and pushchairs are carried free of charge.
Christmas Eve - Saturday Timetable
Christmas Day - Sunday Timetable ** Last Ferry at 5:50/6:00pm!! **
Boxing Day -> New Years Eve - Saturday Timetable
New Years Day - Sunday Timetable
2nd & 3rd Jan - Saturday Timetable
4th Jan - back to regular Schedule
Book your Ferry trip on Boarding
Bookings and payment for ferry services are made directly to the launch-master when boarding the vessel. Cash payments only please.
For timetable information please phone the Metro help line on 03 366 8855. or check out the website http://www.metroinfo.org.nz/timetables-maps/diamond-harbour.html